News from Rotary Club of Felixstowe Landguard
Like most community groups, Covid-19 has made it difficult to meet in person and Landguard Rotary is no exception. Weekly meetings at The Orwell Hotel are becoming a distant memory where our after-dinner speakers would raise awareness of, and opportunities for, Rotarians to support local good causes.
In the void members have supported one another and discovered, some may say, even mastered, Zoom technology. Our president, Jim Peek, who freely admits he is a technophobe has become adept at hosting and chairing our online meetings. Members have self-taught and supported one another to get online and as such Rotary can continue to enjoy fellowship.
Zoom has broadened our speaker programme. Rotary Landguard has been able to invite speakers where in the past cost and distance, would have made it prohibitive. Consequently, Rotations have enjoyed a diverse programme. It has been an opportunity too, to share some of our evenings with Rotary Club Felixstowe and Inner Wheel, adding to a great sense of support and fellowship to one another.
Looking back these are some of our highlights:
- ShelterBox providing international disaster relief with lifesaving shelter for vulnerable families.
- Global Sight Solutions whose mission is to provide free eye care and eye surgery to the poor in developing countries.
- Sacrifice and Remembrance: the story of the poppy and how it has become the symbol of remembrance for those killed in conflict.
- Masters of Mirth: an affectionate look at Music Hall favourites providing an evening of fun and frivolity which did a lot to lift the spirits of all who attended.
- Most recently Mark Pittacio, a behavioural economist, gave Rotarians a fascinating insight into why consumers make the decisions they do. Are we exercising free will or are we being subtly directed to behave in a certain way? If you want to know more about behavioural economics listen to Mark explain on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdmfZDx5IpQ
We are now preparing for the spring and looking forward to a continued diverse and varied speaker programme.
If you would like to attend one of our evenings, please get in touch with our secretary: email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and check out our website too: